Section C: Family/Home Contact Details
PLEASE REFER TO THE GUIDANCE NOTES WHEN COMPLETING THIS SECTION – PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY AS DEFINED BY THE CHILDREN’S ACT 1989:
Who Is a "Parent"?
Section 576 of the Education Act 1996 deﬁnes parent as:
- All natural parents, whether they are married or not;
- Any person who, although not a natural parent, has parental responsibility for a child or young person;
Having parental responsibility means assuming all rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority that a parent of a child has by law. People other than a child's natural parents can (only) acquire parental responsibility through:
- Being granted a residence order
- Being appointed a guardian
- Being named in an emergency protection order (although parental responsibility in such a case is limited to taking reasonable steps to safeguard or promote the child’s welfare)
- Adopting a child
In addition a local authority can acquire parental responsibility it it is named in the care order for a child.
CONTACT 1 (PRIORITY 1) PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN:
This needs to be a Parent or Legal Guardian and is the first person the school would contact in an emergency. This contact would automatically receive all communications sent out by the school from notifications relating to the students studies, school news and postal communications i.e. Termly Reports.